Restorative dentistry is the artistic and scientific repair or replacement of damaged teeth, tissue or bone in the mouth. Anyone who needs something done in their mouth – a tooth crown or bridge – can benefit from restorative dentistry. The proper oral prosthesis will not only improve someone’s smile, it will also improve their overall health. Broken teeth, exposed gums and damaged bone can lead to serious infection and injury. Restorative dentistry involves many different procedures, tools, doctors and methods. A microscope and floss aren’t enough to repair a smile and recover health, and restorative dentistry specialists know it.
Here are some of the services available through restorative dentistry:
– Implants: Dental implants are the most sought-after procedure in restorative dentistry. They are prosthetic teeth that are used to replace damaged or missing teeth. If someone loses their “whites” in an accident or because of neglect, they can use implants to refill their mouth. The tooth is inserted into the jawbone, creating a strong, durable structure.
– Bridges: A dental bridge is a type of crown that spans an empty space between teeth. Just as a traditional bridge covers a gap in the land, a dental bridge covers a gap in the mouth. A bridge allows patients to chew better and protects their gums.
– Fillings: If a patient has a cavity in their tooth, they can opt for a dental filling. This is when the tooth’s core is drilled out and filled with a material to prevent further decay.
– Whitening: Over time, teeth can become stained from food, beverages and inadequate brushing. To return teeth to their original luster, patients can receive whitening, a process that draws out stains and blemishes.
– Crowns: A crown is a tooth-colored cap that goes over a damaged tooth. A proper crown will look and feel no different than the original tooth.
A smile is like a welcome sign to your personality. Contact an experienced, compassionate restorative dentistry team today to find out how they can improve your approachability.