Is your New Year’s resolution to finally quit smoking? Here’s some more motivation from your dentist to help you kick the habit for good…
We are all aware that smoking is detrimental to your health. The serious threat of cancer and heart disease may be enough to make you kick the habit. But have you ever considered how damaging tobacco is to your teeth? We at Dr. Andrew Cobb’s office are a bit biased, but if you are struggling to find the motivation to quit smoking, there are some oral health implications that we would like you to consider:
- An obvious one, but smoking causes bad breath and stained teeth! Trying to impress someone special? Wow them with your fresh smoke-free breath and pearly white smile.
- Cigarettes and cigars can cause a dulled sense of taste. Imagine not being able to enjoy that cheeseburger or chocolate cake as much as you used to. Yikes!
- Smoking can also impair the healing process after a dental procedure.
- Smokers have a higher rate of oral cancer and gum disease than non-smokers.
- Quitting is the only way to decrease your risk of developing tobacco-related health complications.
We all know that this is easier said than done due to the highly addictive nature of nicotine. For this reason, it is incredibly important to have a plan and constantly remind yourself of your reasons for wanting to kick your smoking habit. Writing down your reasons and re-reading them every time you have a craving, exercising regularly, chewing gum, and reaching out to supportive friends and family can all be extremely beneficial in your journey to quit smoking.
Dr. Cobb and his staff care deeply about their patients and would like to remind everyone who is struggling to quit that our staff is 100% supportive of your commitment and would be happy to help you in any way!
Don’t forget to schedule your dental check ups for the new year! Contact us with questions or request an appointment! We are located in the Friendship Heights neighborhood of Washington DC and convenient to Chevy Chase MD.